Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Aurora...

With the rampant obsession of Twilight heightened by the release of the new movie, I've begun wondering if I'm missing yet another girl gene, like the ones that supposedly makes us want to have long relationship talks or prone to chatting on the phone. I don't seem to have those, either.

I have less than an inkling of interest in reading the Twilight books and even less than the less than an inkling of desire to endure the movies. Everything I have heard about the written series is that they are so atrociously written yet inexplicably captivating, forcing those who begin to suffer through and push forward to the end, that people don't have any idea why they continued reading or claim to not regret it. Or better yet, why they LOVED IT. That is not the kind of endorsement I'm inclined to follow.

There's the brain candy factor. The things we partake for no other reason than simplistic enjoyment rather than any level of enlightenment. I get brain candy. I really do. But, brain candy books are not generally the cause for hysteria and all-out obsession. Brain candy books are the kind you toss in your beach bag for a day of relaxing solitude while you're listening to the breaking waves and cawing gulls, toes polishing the crystal grains of sand. Brain candy books do not spur heated arguments with people you may not have even met involving fanatic teams for the characters. This cannot be simply chalked up to a mindless reading treat.

I just don't get it, I guess. I roll my eyes whenever I see or hear or read anything about the Twilight craze...just like many men, which begs the pondering of my lacking some female genetic code that processes the understanding for such things. Anyone care to take a stab at how this series of books and now movies, widely accepted to be awful examples of both media, has stirred such mania?

13 comments:

Churlita said...

The crazy thing is, that it's not really even about vampires so much, as a love story. I had to see the first movie since I have teenager daughters, but I opted out of the second one.

Susan said...

If you're missing it I am too. I read the first book and was like "I'd rather spoon my brains out then read anymore"...

Now, I read all the sookie stackhouse books and will say I love them. :)

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

churlita - I sort of understand the love story appeal for the tween and teen girls, but I can't get the obsessiveness from adult women who have better love story reading choices, even the trashy romance novel type since they seem to have better (or at least more creative) use of vocabulary.

susan - I haven't read the books, but I do watch the show. I bought my sister-in-law the first 8 in the Sookie series for her Christmas/birthday present.

Pamela said...

Romeo and Juliet, except they both live happily ever after. It really was like reading a comic book. No depth. Could finish it in an hour or two.

Jonathan said...

I'm sat here wondering how many pairs of shoes or handbags you have - perhaps there is a connection?

For what it's worth, your lack of an obsession in trashy novels and/or TV makes the prospect of spending time with *you* infinitely preferable to somebody who might :)

Rick said...

My daughter was crazy about them. She had the movie and I watched it. Chick flick with vegetarian vampires. That about sums it up.

Anonymous said...

I will not approve on it. I assume precise post. Specially the title attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Thank u ;-) you should look at that emo boy style over this blog:
http://emo--boys.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

twoboys4me.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Anonymous said...

I read about it some days ago in another blog and the main things that you mention here are very similar

Tera said...

Wow Woo! It looks like you haven't been around for a while (of course not nearly as long as I have been gone) either :-) Just thought I'd stop by and say hello!