Tuesday, November 10, 2009

r is for rainforest...

Hoh RainforestWhen I first saw this picture, I thought I saw a 'p' in it. Now, I see it as a lowercase 'r'...which happens to work way better for me in this post. I took that picture during our adventurous road trip in July to the Hoh Rainforest. We had a few weeks in late July and early August that were crammed with sight-seeing so that we didn't send my sister-in-law off to England for three years without a mind and camera full of Pacific Northwest memories. Hoh wasn't the only stop during that road trip, but I'll get to those another day. Today I'm sharing my favorite pictures from the rainforest.



Hoh Rainforest

The phone booth by the visitor center. I don't remember if I even noticed it before we began walking the trail since it's so well camouflaged. I do know this was one of the last pictures I took.


Hoh Rainforest
M and J crouching under the "bat tree". It is the bat tree because...


Hoh Rainforest
These are close-ups of the part of the tree the boys are crouched under in the previous photo. That there is a giant bat fossil attached to the tree. There is no other plausible explanation.


Hoh RainforestHoh Rainforest
The trail we took was the Hanging Moss Trail. Misleading name, I'd say...facetiously.


LMX on his usual perch, upon NS's shoulders, and grabbing for the plethora of pretty green stuff.


A picture of K taking a picture of the guys. Please note that J is making a rectangle with his mouth, and LMX is attempting to tousle his hair. Complete sidenote: Those fern-y plants in the foreground, we call those the dinosaur plants because they are present everywhere up here, but they look so out of place and remind us of the plants seemingly always pictured with dinosaurs; we assume they must be prehistoric.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I'm not sure why you're not showing up on my reader but you're back! I've been reading down. I hope you're doing better than you were a few days ago and PMS isn't being such a hard time for you.

Your children are adorable, as always. I hope you're doing okay, woo.

Churlita said...

Great pics! I miss the rainforest.

Pamela said...

I love that rainforest. Glad you are back and glad to see all the photos.