Y'all (I'm sure that's not even allowed over here seeing as the glory that is sweet tea escapes these people), see that pretty mountain view pic a couple posts down? Well, provided all the inspections go smoothly, that view will be what I see from my living room.
Last night, NS and I put in an offer, a substantially low ball offer, mind you, on the house that boasts that view. We were countered, we countered back, and then we were re-countered...with a "bottom line" price. Because we knew that, while the bottom line price was within our budget, we didn't truly believe the price was good for the condition the house is currently in, we told our realtor to give us a few hours to discuss it and said we'd call her back.
We give it a few minutes of thoughtful conversation before deciding that this is still a deal for this house, knowing that we can do some inexpensive rehabilitation to build substantial value and equity, whereas any other house we'd get wouldn't be worth much more in a few years than what we pay for it now.
Maybe two hours later, before we've gotten back to her on our decision, another call comes from our realtor to let us know the sellers have agreed to accept our last offer amount so long as they are not expected to complete any work orders that may come from the inspection. Seeing as we weren't really planning to continue the purchase if any big work orders came up and didn't want to wait for any small things to be fixed by the seller since they'd done some shotty work in the house already, we yelled, "Score!" And, then, we danced the happy, not-going-to-be-homeless-anymore jig, told the boys we were going to live in the bee* house, but without the bees, and called our parents. So, um, through some hesitation and procrastination, we got what we wanted all along, which is a potentially awesome house on nearly two acres of land in a good neighborhood for $35,000 less than the most recent list price (dropped for the umpteenth time since it went on the market 450+ days ago) and probably $50,000 less than the tax assessed value. We are, apparently, master negotiators; take note...hesitate, procrastinate, win.
Of course, I have lots more to blog about, namely a 4,000+ mile drive with all the stops interspersed, but since my iPhone travel notes got unintentionally erased tonight, I just can't begin all that right now...devastation and grief over the loss of my surely brilliant yet meandering thoughts might begin to describe my feelings from this evening. Look forward to the chronicles of our adventures in the coming weeks; it was an exhausting blast.
* We call it the "bee" house because in two visits, with a grand total of less than 10 minutes outside, we got stung four times collectively, twice for NS and once each for J and me. Good times, indeed.