Monday, June 23, 2008

Real or sarcasm...

thoughtful monkeyI upgraded my Firefox browser over the weekend (With which I am in love! I'd been using Opera as a default, but that may be changing since some sites that don't work properly in Opera do work in Firefox.) In doing this, I added a toolbar for StumbleUpon. That's a little button of addictive crack for people who get in the majority of their reading time via the internet for ease of one-handed scrolling versus one-handed page-turning while holding the multiple-hundreds-paged book.

One of the items I stumbled upon last night was an Amazon.com book review for The Shadow God. The review is awesome, and I've never before seen an Amazon.com review have so many comments of its own. The review involves several digs on the writer's poor word usage, whereas the author probably meant to use one word (emanated) but used another, somewhat similar-looking word (emancipated) that means something entirely different. The examples quoted in the review, such as the emanated vs. emancipated one, are quite laughable, and if the book wasn't 472 pages and almost $20, I'd consider reading it to find all the hilarity for myself. Instead, I'll just take his word for its awfulness.

The point of all this is that one of the 70 comments on the review was, "I don't think word choice is nearly as impotent as you think it is. Who cares if he mixes up a few words? It's not like he's a doctor or a science test or something." Now, this brought me to question if he was seriously defending the book's author while making his own usage errors, or if he was simply attempting his own clever jab at the ridiculousness of the author's work. I'm leaning towards the latter, especially now that I read it also says "impotent" rather than "important", which I failed to notice last night.

10 comments:

Victoria said...

"Impotent" / "Important" is the funniest typo to find :)

heather said...

i just installed firefox myself, still bouncing back and forth between that and ie till i get used to it and get it set up the way i want.

i really hope it was a jab cause if it wasn't, well, more than one teacher failed to get through.

Churlita said...

I'm a big fan of Firefox. I heart it.

Cagey said...

'Tis important not to be impotent, I suppose.

I love Firefox, but am afraid to upgrade. *gulp*

Also, am afraid of StumbleUpon. Like I NEED another timesuck right now. *double gulp*

Tera said...

Now that is too funny...and I HOPE it's the ladder (I couldn't resist!) :)

NoRegrets said...

I am interested in the StumbleUpon... I guess it's a good thing, but I kind of wish they'd throw you something completely random. How else can you expand your interests/knowledge? I read recently an article about music and sites like Pandora, lastfm, etc. and really how they throw you into the same patterns... Diversity is a good thing.

NoRegrets said...

Oh, and TERA - LMAO!

Heather (a.k.a. Bella) said...

LMAO! I'm reading the review right now. As someone who is ANAL about spelling and grammar, and who often picks apart published works because of their poor quality (yes, I'm THAT kind of person), I think I'd have a field day with this one.

As for Firefox, I've been using it for years and LOVE it, but FF3 has been crashing on me way too often.

Heather (a.k.a. Bella) said...

PS -- I loooooove StumbleUpon. The night I first, ahem, stumbled upon it a couple of years ago, I spent ALL NIGHT stumbling. Addictive is the truth.

heather said...

*psst, nor. i don't use stumbleupon or twitter or any of that other stuff but wiki's random articlecan be a trip and a half through the world's knowledge base if you're interested.*