Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm a lucky one...

I was dreading my return to work this week, as in I seriously considered if I could feasibly spend all-day, every day with all my boys at home, only going places where our feet could take us so that we could give up a car payment/insurance/gas (OMG, THE GAS!!), and I would never have to return to work...that's the sort of dread I was choking on. I think a lot of it stemmed from my fear of being forced to put my not-quite-3 month-old baby in a stranger's care for two months, at which point he may have just gotten adjusted to said stranger's care, and then we would yank him outta there and do it all over again, 3,000 miles across the country, following what is sure to be the most memorable car-ride of my life. (Whether that be good memorable or maybe-I-should-have-opted-to-ride-in-the-roof-box-thing memorable is a looming mystery.) So, I was uneasy about this plan of mine to work with LMX at home, especially since I'd never gotten around to voicing said plan to anyone at work, let alone obtaining agreement with it prior to firing up the VPN connection yesterday morning.

But, as it turns out, no one wants me to toss my baby into someone else's arms; it might even be they expected he would continue to be home with me. It's a relief beyond reliefs, and yesterday afternoon, I took several moments to recognize how freakin' lucky I am to work for the company I work for, with the people I work with, and to have the skills needed for this job...and then, I said thank you. I'm still saying thanks today and may very well be doing it every day for a very long time as I relish in not having to part with my infant in order to earn a decent living wage.

I used a lucky bamboo image for my post about being lucky, but ironically, my lucky bamboo has died.

9 comments:

Churlita said...

Good for you. I'm so happy your company is that cool.

Victoria said...

cool :)

Roadchick said...

That is wonderful!

Also, I cannot keep a lucky bamboo alive.

So, not so lucky for the bamboo.

Charming Driver said...

That is freakin AWESOME!

NoRegrets said...

yay!
Guess you have to buy a new lucky bamboo plant. You used all the energy in that one to get this lucky break!

Susan said...

I'd be afraid to even attempt keeping one alive. Bamboo that is. I'm on the fence about a child ;)

Tera said...

Damn, I am willing to relocate...can I get an application?

I have NEVER succeeded at keeping plants or flowers alive!

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

noregrets - That makes perfect sense; I depleted its lucky energy;>

tera - I'd love to bring more people on board, but stupid economy and housing markets mean we are rarely hiring and even more rarely in my department. I was the last person hired in my department, and that was over 2 years ago. If it helps at all, I'm a technical writer, writing training manuals and materials for our company's various computer systems so that the average joe at the warehouse can understand how to use the computer to do his job. As long as the company is willing, the job is very easily portable.

Nina said...

You are soooo lucky!!! I'm thinking about how awful it's going to be to go back to work in August and I'll be leaving my boy with my sister!!!