Thursday, May 08, 2008

I must have lost my mind...

Thinking that grocery shopping with two 4 year-old boys and a 7 week-old infant wouldn't be a big ordeal.

A couple days ago, I waited until LMX finished eating, making sure M and J were ready to walk out the door as soon as I was, then packed up the diaper bag and loaded my feeding pillow into the car, and we all headed out for lunch and grocery shopping.

Lunch was easy. But, by the time we finished and arrived at the first store, LMX was ready for another nursing session. So, we sat in the parking lot...M and J listening to the Chinese vocabulary cd that came with their kids' meals and 'reading' books in the back seat, me feeding baby in the front seat. Once LMX seemed finished, I loaded him onto the front of a shopping cart, and we all headed inside. Thankfully, the shirt I chose to wear had long strings dangling from the neckline, presumably to be tied into a bow of some sort, but I just let them hang freely. M and J were told to hold onto those while we shopped. I forgot how hard it is to see where you're going with a baby carseat sitting atop a shopping cart. We managed to escape with everything on the list and without any screaming, wailing, or lost children. I felt like a miracle-worker.

Of course, we couldn't even make it to the next store without another baby-is-awake-and-hungry announcement coming from the center of the backseat. So, I pulled into Wendy's to get M and J frostys to keep them occupied during LMX's feeding. The frostys disappeared into the black holes my boys have for stomachs much faster than LMX could finish his meal. Fortunately, there was a road crew erecting work zone signs along the street in front of Wendy's, which was enough to fascinate M and J until we were ready to continue our journey.

We arrived at the last destination for the day, baby napping. Well, the sleeping didn't last long at all. So, I took him out of his carseat and popped him into his pouch. We barely survived the remainder of this trip without everyone in meltdown mode. LMX was ready to feed once more by the time we made it out the doors of the store.

Since M and J had been patient and well-behaved little boys, they'd been able to pick out some stickers at the last store. These kept them busy while baby and I sat in the front seat attempting to fill his tummy and lull him into a slumber long enough for the drive home. While he didn't stay satisfied all the way home, we all made it back without too much frustration.

Five and half hours since we'd left the house, but it had felt like an eternity, and I couldn't have been more exhausted, especially when I decided to embark on this excursion after a poor night of sleep...poorer than normal, I guess, is more accurate. I ached from head to toe, but I think M and J thought it was a great day. I doubt I'll be attempting that much in one day again any time soon, though. Once was enough torture...at least I know we can do it if need be;>

More pictures are on flickr, but here are a couple that show whom I dragged with me on this escapade...


8 comments:

Heather said...

OMG, LMX' hair is BRILLIANT.

Victoria said...

Ahhhhh hah hah the hair shot's awesome! wheeee

Belle - A Beauty livin with her Beast said...

sounds to me like you accomplished the shopping task brilliantly!!! and i do believe i LOVE LMX's hair that way.

Churlita said...

What cute pictures. You have such a beautiful family.

Sharina said...

No doubts about it-- you are indeed a miracle worker for surviving that outing with minimal meltdowns. Go super mommy!

And LMX is ADORABLE. I love the hair and the facial expression!

NoRegrets said...

You have so perfectly explained to people who don't have kids why it's so difficult to do seemingly simple things. Great juggling! And glad everyone is healthy.

Susan said...

I love the look on LMX's face. It's either saying "feed me" or "oooooooooooooh snap" in my mind.

fringes said...

Thanks for visiting our space today and letting us know about LMX! We'd been thinking about you.

Congrats...he is adorable.