Thursday, December 20, 2007

They are little individual people...

It is becoming very clear to me just how right other mothers were when they told me that 4 year-olds begin exhibiting individuality and independence...and that this year is the "terrible" year with twins rather than the twos. But, thankfully, among the many moments of frustration and blood-boiling and steam-spewing from my ears and times when I'd rather sit in the closet and bang my head against the wall while sobbing, there are the other moments that make me laugh and smile and just pause and reflect on how these little boys are such unique people, separate from me.

M is developing an amusing southern drawl. The boy has turned the word "that" into three syllables, usually when used at the end of a sentence. Makes me smile every single time I hear it. I have no idea how his accent is so strong because mine is certainly not.

Know who gags at the thought of raw tomatoes? Me. Know who loves them and eats them at every opportunity? My son, J. If he didn't have so many other qualities that do resemble me, I'd wonder where he came from.

Although I'm so grateful that this next bit is not about my own child, it totally made me laugh. When I dropped the boys off at school on Wednesday, two of the boys were having some sort of disagreement. As I was walking towards the door to leave, I hear one of the boys exasperatedly ask the other, "What the FUCK?!?" About half way through my hushed inquiry as to whether or not he just said what I think he said, I saw the wide-eyed looks of shock on the teachers' faces and immediately knew he did indeed just say what I thought he said. At least he used it in proper context;>

And, just for an extra bit of "awww" and because I need to document these types of precious thoughts, J has declared that he wants to be a daddy when he grows up. He says it so sweetly and sincerely that I get teary-eyed. As long as he doesn't make me a grandma in 10 years...

9 comments:

Susan said...

Ah, woo. The child not yours comment made me laugh so hard I hurt now. Thanks for brightening my day.

fringes said...

I am dreading the day my son drops the f-bomb in front of teachers, family and friends. Trying to delay the inevitable as long as possible.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Dixie said...

The other day, my daughter heard me say "aaw fuck" to which she said, "Mama, why you say dat bad word?"

My question, where has she said the word to have someone tell her it was a bad word? I've never heard her say it, so it weren't me.

Chebbles' Mama said...

I hear you on so many levels. And particularly the raw tomato element. EW, I really can't stand them. And my child is running around the garden, picking them off of the vine and eating them whole. Sometimes I think back to when she was born, and I think, is it POSSIBLE she was switched at birth?

heather said...

cheeks has already pulled the bad word moment. we were in line at the store i was working at at the time when some guy cut in front of us. "what an asshole!" came out ~loud and clear~ from my 4 yr olds mouth.

my response?

i looked at the guy who had turned to look to see who said that and said, 'out of the mouths of babes, the truth comes' and gave him my sweetest smile. he suddenly remembered that he had forgotten something. lol

*we did have a little talk on the way home about inappropriate language though*

NoRegrets said...

Ha! That's great.

My favorite response was from my friend who when her couple year old child said something that sounded like 'fuck' told her "no, sweetie, it's FOX" It was great.

Churlita said...

Both my girls got super bossy at 4. Then they got better and then they turned 8 and got snotty for a while and then better again and now they're teenagers and I need some good sedatives.

FENICLE said...

That is sweet. Happy Holidays to you all!!!

Jonathan said...

I will never forget the moment my brother marched from the house to tell off the five year old from several houses up who had just kicked his football into my brother's car...

As he walked up, pointing at the boy, the boy shouted "piss of shit head", and ran like the wind.

My brother could only just supress the grin as he returned to the house.