Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How much to party...

birthday hatM and J have a birthday next month. They will be four years-old, which means they are at an age where I think they may actually be able to enjoy a party with their "friends". (I put that in quotes because they don't actually refer to anyone in the classes as friends or even talk about anyone in particular very often. One kid tried to declare J his best friend one morning as I dropped them off, and J denied this claim emphatically, saying that M and Mommy are his best friends. It was sweet and maybe kind of funny, but, damn, was that harsh...good thing the other child didn't seem too scarred by it.)

The thing is, I don't know that I'm up for this. Seeing as there are more than 8 kids in their classes, especially now that one has been able to move up to Pre-K while the other is stuck in transition from the preschool class until there's space in Pre-K, and I favor the idea of limiting attendance to one friend per year of the child's age (you know, kind of like time out duration;>), I am hesitant to have them try to pick who to invite.

Plus, I really don't know what to do for a "real" party. Having a real party would involve planning and invitations and reservations, and, gosh, it just seems so overwhelming anytime I try to think about it.

So, it might be another year of mom, grandparents, and maybe great-grandparents. I figure I've got through this weekend to decide.

4 comments:

Sheppitsgal said...

Hello

My niece (4) and nephew (8) love having parties at those horrible "jungle gym" ball pool places. The ones that stink of feet. They are good for the kids to play safely and have fun though. I am in the UK, but assume they have similar things in the US of A.

Have just googled "jungle gym" and there is one in Chicago that is a good example of what I mean.

Mebbe a bit far for you to go tho!!!

Hope this helps.

Susan said...

See, I think you have enough on your plate right now. Hold onto your years of family b-day parties as long as you can because the babies will be grown up enough soon that they'll be too cool for those parties.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

sheppitsgal - Thanks for the idea. Even if I decide to keep it as a family-only celebration, I might consider one of those jungle gym places

susan - I'm leaning towards that low-stress, family-only party more and more;>

Chebbles' Mama said...

Yeah, they won't mind one more year of a family-only birthday party, and perhaps in the coming years they'll be more inclined to ask you to go "all out" with a party at Pump it Up or one of the crazier venues. But if they've just got "friends" then, heck! Family only!