Thursday, November 01, 2007

Could it be real?

orca whaleThose of y'all that have been reading here for a while know that NS and I have been planning for a transfer of locale in the near future. We started talking about it way back when (do you see the date on that post?!?), and went from Hawaii to no Hawaii (Navy said not unless they are beyond desperate for him to be there would they even consider moving an entire family from Virginia to Hawaii) and began to think about either Washington state or very, very southeastern Georgia (and, truth be told, we'd have ended up living in Florida because that is how far in the southeast of Georgia the base was). Then, there was this period of time when we thought we'd definitely be going to the base in Georgia. As it turned out, by the time it was time for NS to actually submit a request for orders to transfer, Georgia wasn't even on the list...but Washington was. So, he submitted for Washington. That was in September. He didn't get the orders.

Now he was facing the possibility of a forced transfer, which could have put us in Guam since they apparently have so many openings, unless he could extend his time on the boat until he was able to get a better transfer. The problem with the extension would be that there's a high likelihood they'd pull him back for the last month or so of their upcoming deployment after Baby Woo-Woo's birth. We were, um, let's say, not excited about this prospect...to say the least.

But, there was still another chance for the preferred option of a simple transfer...the October list of orders became available. Would you believe both Washington and Georgia were on it? To be safe, he requested to be put in for both, hoping that would increase our chances of securing one of them. Last week, he got a call asking which one he preferred. There were very strong pros for each: on one hand, we could move to a place where we know people, like, really know people, and not be thousands of miles from my family; and on the other, we've got a beautiful location where we could expose the boys to some geography-dependent hobbies and interests (snowboarding and ORCAS! come to mind;>). In the end, after I said I really couldn't weigh in with a preference for one over the other, he requested Washington as his top choice.

He called me yesterday to let me know that the orders came through, and we actually have a date to be in Washington. Come the end of August next year, I will have made the biggest move I've ever made, from the southeast to the northwest, Atlantic coast to Pacific. I can hardly believe it's real. I was beginning to think we'd be in limbo forever.

9 comments:

Susan said...

How amazing!! I'm so excited for you!

NoRegrets said...

Wow... have you ever been? It's such an amazing part of the country. But be aware that you'll see lots of clouds for most of the year.

baby~amore' said...

wow my name is Trish - how freaky a coinicidence.I am visiting because of NaBloPoMo ... I saw the angel and I had to drop by. I have twin boys 16 months old born 1st July 2006 (due 1st August) and an angel daughter Charlotte born Sept 1st 2004 (due 1st Dec).
I am sorry you precious baby didn't get to stay and your sons are adorable.
Wishing you all the best for baby woo woo
Take care ...
come and join the twin mums NaBloPoMo

MsBatman said...

Wow! You make my little move with the girls just half way across the state seem so small! 3 kids clear across the country! How exciting for you all!!!!

I'm so happy for you!

Killer said...

Washington should be a big change, but a great place to raise some kids. The have a lot of great parks out that way.

Cedar Waxwing said...

Wow...Washington State. How cool is that? My one trip there was full of fun packed adventure.

Got here from the NaBloPoMo Blogroll.

Victoria said...

cool!

Sephyroth said...

I'm stopping by on my way to commenting on as many NaBloPoMo blogs as possible.

You can find more information about the commenting challenge and join the group here. :)

That's great news! The best part is that you've got what sounds like plenty of time to get ready for the move. Best of luck to you and your family :)

Sephyroth
http://www.sephyroth.net

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

susan - Thanks!

noregrets - I went for a couple weeks to visit a friend living in Seattle back in the summer of '97. It was pretty much the best time of year to visit, not too cold or rainy;> I am looking forward to seeing a fair amount of mountains, though.

baby~amore' - Thanks for stopping by. What a small world;>

msbatman - Thank you;>

killer - I have a very good feeling about this move.

cedar waxwing - Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed my one visit there, too.

victoria - It really is;>

sephyroth - Good luck with the comment challenge. Thanks for the well wishes.