Monday, October 15, 2007

October 15th...

I'm not sure if anyone has scrolled down the sidebar recently to see the October 15th banner, but the day, somewhat unfortunately, means a lot to many, many women and their families.

Today is a day set aside for all of those families who have survived the loss of a baby, whether that baby was lost during pregnancy or shortly after. Without having experienced the loss of Baby Angel last year, I would never have known how much of an impact a baby never to be born could have on someone's life. While I find solace in knowing there is a day we can all take a moment to remember the forever-innocent, I am aware that my memory of Baby Angel will never be contained to one day of the year. Thankfully, I am able to look forward to the beginning of a new life next year as I reminisce about the life that changed mine last year.

So, I will conclude this memorial by sharing something that was shared with me by another mother remembering her lost baby today.

"A Pair of Shoes"

I am wearing a pair of shoes. They are ugly shoes. Uncomfortable shoes. I hate my shoes. Each day I wear them, and each day I wish I had another pair. Some days my shoes hurt so bad that I do not think I can take another step.

Yet, I continue to wear them. I get funny looks wearing these shoes. They are looks of sympathy. I can tell in others eyes that they are glad they are my shoes and not theirs. They never talk about my shoes. To learn how awful my shoes are might make them uncomfortable. To truly understand these shoes you must walk in them. But, once you put them on, you can never take them off.

I now realize that I am not the only one who wears these shoes. There are many pairs in this world. Some women are like me and ache daily as they try and walk in them. Some have learned how to walk in them so they don't hurt quite as much. Some have worn the shoes so long that days will go by before they think about how much they hurt. No woman deserves to wear these shoes.

Yet, because of these shoes I am a stronger woman. These shoes have given me the strength to face anything. They have made me who I am. I will forever walk in the shoes of a woman who has lost a child.

Author unknown


Remembering Our Babies

9 comments:

Dixie said...

((Hugs))

Tera said...

Wow, breath taking!

Susan said...

I think Tuesday the 16th might be make susan cry day because everything I read is leaving me a mess.

fringes said...

No words, woo-woo. Thanks for sharing.

NoRegrets said...

I know that's a pair of shoes you didn't want to add to your shoe collection. Sorry.

Jonathan said...

This kind of hits a bit too close to home for me to write anything objective.

Science nearly gave us a child. We now find ourselves giving several small children a second chance at the family we think they should have had to start with.

Fingers crossed we meet their expectations.

Victoria said...

*hugs*

Anjali said...

So sorry for your loss. I had two miscarriages last year, and I've never been the same.

heather said...

sadly beautiful. thank you for posting this.