Thursday, September 06, 2007

Sounds of reassurance...

hearts
The zombie life is getting to be a bit more than boring. I'm still incredibly tired most of the time. Being so sleepy makes me feel very lazy, and the fact that my hair and skin are oil slicks that might very well be dangerous to some unsuspecting souls compounded with that lazy feeling just has me convinced I'm the ugliest woman walking the planet. Did I mention the acne? Because we know that can only serve to up my attractiveness factor. But, that's about as much as I've got as far as complaints go, and I'll take a few months of feeling like a frumpy, dumpy, puffy pregnant lady over not having another baby every minute of every day right now.

So, last Thursday was the real doctor appointment. The doctor was great, very perky and happy and understanding. She answered half the questions I'd written down before I had a chance to ask, which was just awesome. We also got an ultrasound, which I was totally not expecting. The appointment before this was left as we would "hear the hearbeat", not "see the baby". Unfortunately, the real ultrasound machine was in use the entire time we were there, so the doctor finally had to bring in the portable one. While it provided enough detail for us to see the baby, including some cute legs bent at the knees and crossed at the ankles, it was not great clarity. Baby measured perfectly at 10 weeks, 4 days (actually a day ahead), and looked perfect. Because the machine was not so super, we didn't get to hear anything or find out how fast the heart was beating, but we still got a picture, as fuzzy as that picture may be...at least I know what it shows;>

Late last week, I rented a fetal doppler from storkradio.com. It's an open-ended monthly rental, so I'll be charged each month until I return it. It arrived last night. The heartbeat was easy to find once I placed the wand on my left side instead of my right. This will bring some welcome reassurance during those weeks between doctor appointments. The boys were too funny with their comments about it. They asked excitedly if I was going to make the baby come out; when NS and I both said, "No. The baby won't be coming out for a while," they moved right on to telling me that I was just making the baby's heart come out (that was J's conclusion; he convinced M of this). No need to correct that...afterall, I was making the sound of the baby's heart come out;> I brought it to work today since I'm having dinner at my mom's house tonight and know she's desperate to know something about this kid's heartrate. Three of the ladies here had a great time listening with me this morning. The beating was much faster this morning than last night, and baby definitely moved a bit during this show, so I guess someone was resting last night when we listened.

Anyone interested in packing up my office? I start working from home next week. I never thought I'd be able to utter those words while working for someone else.

6 comments:

FENICLE said...

Working from home will be nice. I didn't know you could rent those monitor's? What peace of mind that would be.

I bet the acne will clear up soon. I had the best skin of my life while pregnant. That truly 'glowing' look. It was almost worth the pain of labor!! Almost....

Chebbles' Mama said...

I'm so jealous of your monitor! I'm such a basket case that I don't think I could handle it.

And as for the acne, I hear you sister. And speaking of sisters, sometimes acne means you're having a girl. With my pregnancy with Chebbles it never cleared up until after she was born, then it was all gone within a few weeks. I'm using Erythromycin this time around, and it seems to be keeping the bad ones at bay.

I'm thinking of you, and so excited for you to have reached the 10 week point, wonderful!

fringes said...

Following all the good baby news around the blogosphere. Congratulations! I'll try to keep up with the reading. Good thing you're blissfully tired. Gives me time to catch up. Haha...

Susan said...

Wow! This is all so awesome. Working from home is also awesome! Rest up, dearie..Make sure to take it super easy..

heather said...

yay for the heartbeat and good doctor, boo for the acne and sleepiness. thanks for the update and be sure to let us know how the working from home goes. :-)

Belle - A Beauty livin with her Beast said...

Congrats on getting to work from home!! I didnt know about those monitors wow things sure have changed since I had my last baby 7 yrs ago....anyway..take it easy easy easy make the men wait on ya and enjoy the relaxation!