Thursday, August 02, 2007

For those that haven't already seen this...

Whymommy posted about her diagnosis of inflammatory breast cancer. I'm not going to copy and paste the entire post, but I encourage those of you who have not read this elsewhere or who have never heard of more than one type of breast cancer to click that link and read. This is a very aggressive and often deadly type of breast cancer and is so difficult to detect and diagnose because it can appear as a simple infection with a red area or changes in the skin on the breast but without that tell-tale lump we're always told to look for. Ladies, ANY changes in your breasts should be examined by a doctor, and if you ever feel like your doctor is not taking your concerns seriously, then find another doctor as soon as possible. Really, that last part applies to everyone. I first heard about this type of cancer from a video clip someone sent me of a news story that had been done on it. They interviewed both average women and doctors, and even the doctors were not familiar with this cancer. Doctors are not perfect and do not know everything; if yours is not willing to admit that and try to research what might be causing problems for you, then they are not the best doctor for you.

5 comments:

Tera said...

Woo, trust me...I have been taunted and teased many times in life because many believe that I am (borderline) hypochondriac...my doctor would definitely be notified of changes!

Dixie said...

Oh crap. I have never heard of that. Off to read now!

Thank you.

heather said...

thanks for posting this woo, it really freaked the hell out of me and i ended up having nightmares about it.

it's been a long time since i've had a nightmare. i don't miss them.

heather said...

just checking in, hope all is well in the land of woo. :-)

FENICLE said...

Hope you are doing better!!!!

I posted this too. My cousin, Stephanie, passed away at 30 years old about 2 years ago from IBC....so this brings up a lot of memories for me. Thanks for spreading the word.