Y'all remember that house-buying event I mentioned Friday? Yeah, well, we've had a change of heart.
When NS first brought up the idea of buying a house, I hesitated with my enthusiasm...because I didn't think buying and then selling in less than a year would be worthwhile. Then, he mentioned making the house a rental property once we moved. Okay. I could get excited about that. So, we began a rapid house-hunt since this was a Monday and he would go to sea at the end of that week and, by the way, our lease ends this month. I saw 20 houses in three days and finally decided on one. That was the one we offered on and then got a counter offer and then we placed a final offer, which was rejected. Well, I was pretty impressed with another house in that same neighborhood that was only a few streets over and $20,000 less, and I put the offer on that one. It was accepted, and I signed the contract last Wednesday evening. That's where we stood as of Friday.
Yesterday, NS calls me with some last minute concerns about whether this is really the best thing for us to do. It's a big chunk of cash to risk. What if we can't make the money back by selling it? What if we can't find renters? How will we be able to buy a house in Georgia next year after we move if we don't have either buyers or renters? We traded many text messages last night. It was leaning towards seeing about getting out of the contract.
Well, the thing I hadn't yet mentioned to him because I don't like bringing up such emotional roller-coaster inducing possibilities without some good reason is that I was a bit late. Yeah, that kind of "late". I decided Friday that I would take a test on Monday, which would have put me at 5-7 days late. I fully expected a negative result and to just chalk it up to being one of those freaky no-period months. So, when I was awoken at 2:45 this morning with a call from my bladder, I knew it was time to collect and sample and see what the test would tell. Imagine my half-asleep shock as that second line became more and more visible and clearer and clearer over the course of the longest 60 seconds I've had in a long time.
I must have repeated the phrase, "I'm pregnant. I'm. Preg. Nant," for a solid five minutes before I grabbed the camera. I then had to capture the results with my phone's camera to send a message to NS; I just couldn't wait 6+ hours to say something. I thought getting that out would help me fall back to sleep seeing as I still had at least three good sleeping hours left. Not so much. I stayed awake, though trying my hardest to keep my eyes closed and my mind from wandering, for those three hours. I finally dozed back off around 5:45 and chose to make it a late day to work and sleep until 6:30.
NS didn't get off this morning as early as I'd anticipated, and I began making the anxious phones calls about 45 minutes too soon. When he got the chance to call me, he hadn't even seen the message I'd sent.
One of the emails received last week from NS included a note about us trying to have a baby next year, after he got back from deployment, spring-ish time. I was fully on board with that; in fact, it had been my plan as well, a plan I had the intention of letting him in on when he got back from this trip. So, we had an agreeable, well-timed baby-making plan as of Thursday last week.
I simply told him that we wouldn't be able to wait 'til next spring to get pregnant. He understood my implication right away. It was a good surprise, and he's as excited as I am. With this new information, we decided it is definitely not right for us to buy this house. I wouldn't be able to put in any work on renovations, and I don't know about y'all, but purposefully creating a situation where we'll be having a baby, moving, and trying to sell/rent a house while buying another house in another state does not sound like something I'm up for. I prefer keeping stresses to a minimum and not compounding them all into one month. When our realtor gets back from vacation on Wednesday, I'll go in to cancel the contract.
That's our total change of plans that came about in a matter of 24 hours. No house; new baby.
For anyone who's curious, going by my last period, I should be 5 weeks today with an estimated due date of March 24th.