Thursday, June 07, 2007

You need to know what I know...


I've considered and reconsidered whether or not to post anything about this recent discovery, only because, well, others have certainly covered it quite well. But, then I realized that while many of you may be readers of other blogs I read, I can't recall seeing any of y'all commenting at either of the two blogs I visited yesterday that wrote about this, so I will assume you may not have had your imagination get carried away with images of bloody cups...and having to touch them (Oh My God! No!!).

Mommy off the Record pondered over what was a new discovery for her yesterday, the DivaCup. Uh, new to me, too. A cup...to hold the fluid...for 12 hours...that you then empty out (presumably into a toilet) and rinse and reuse? Who would ever think of such a thing? Repulsed is probably an understatement for my first reaction.

Then...oh, but then! Andrea pointed us to some lovely posts by Jonniker, one in particular, that were oh so enlightening. And, well, just don't ever say I'm not open-minded because my gullible mind can apparently be swayed in a matter of minutes. To the point that I might just get one. What?!? Yeah, I think I might. As Schnozz so eloquently shouted stated, all products related to periods are gross. I think there was some mention of a mighty pendulum swing amongst those Jonniker comments, and I can say that while rare, I've experienced it. It's enough to catch a girl completely off-guard and make her use unknown muscles to leap from a toilet seat doing the heebie-jeebie dance complete with shoulder and hand convulsions. So, like she said...gross, all of it. Besides, it might be a refreshing experience not having to carry the bright blue and purple box through the store ever again.

It does help that I followed the link from the LiveJournal Menstrual Cup Support* community page to the Mooncup UK site. That picture on their home page, the one of the smiling lady holding her treasured clear, bell-shaped flow-holder, got rid of the images I'd previously had flashing behind my eyes, ones where the thing looks like a 6-inch wide plunger. I've also decided that I don't think the fabricated sounds of thick menstrual goo swirling around inside my body or falling out of the cup back to goodness-knows-where while I sleep will be put to rest if I never try one.

So, I guess I may have officially convinced myself to eat the words of my first MOTR comment yesterday. How about you? Who's a closet cup-user? There are apparently quite a few, many of them singing praises of their cups to anyone who will listen, passing out stickers to strangers in bars. My question about that is how does one work that into conversation? I couldn't even tell you the last time I've had a discussion related to the monthly nightmare, let alone one that might possibly have any context relevant to revealing how I manage my river of uterine-lining shed.

* It's almost something you want to make fun of, but I have a feeling I'll be visiting and talking about all things menstrual cup soon enough, so I just can't.

I apologize to any male readers that were not forewarned of the subject of this post and are now scarred for life, but really, the imagery conjured in my head from this topic was too amusing not to share. Just think of how sensitive women will think you are with all this knowledge.

11 comments:

heather said...

1st reaction. ewww, gross. 2nd reaction. nah, still gross. i'm fortunate in that my periods are ~always~ 3 days and very light. but still, i just don't know. i think i'll talk brat into trying them first and see how she does with them. (one of the benefits of having a gulible little sister. hehehe)

jonniker said...

Dude, I use it, and I was OBSESSIVELY and rather vehemently against it, as it appears you read. However, it was entirely different than I ever expected and it really isn't that bad.

I'm glad you went with the Moon Cup. Anecdotal evidence suggests that it's better than the Diva.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

heather - Oh, I agree, it is definitely gross, but it no longer seems so much grosser than any of the stuff I already use. You know, like finding a half-eaten bloody panty liner fished from the trash can by my dog or seeing that the tampon didn't really make it down the toilet the first flush. I'm also a light bleeder, which is why my box is blue and purple...Tampax lites;> By the last day, even the lite one is sucking me dry, though, so I figure it may not really be a good thing.

jonniker - Good to see you visiting. I ordered the Mooncup last night, so it seems I should be receiving it in the next couple weeks, which means I won't be able to test it until next cycle (frowns). I'm glad you and your readers were so willing to discuss the topic enough to defect my original opinion;>

Belle - A Beauty livin with her Beast said...

ok yes agreed with heather's first and second re-action....EWWW...has our world gotten to the point where we need to reuse something for the flow and i missed it? I dont see the point it rinsing something out to re-insert it, how can you feel fresh doing that?

Skyqueen said...

I'd consider it if you'd just take that horrible, gawd aweful, photo off this post. Good thing I check some of the links b/c THAT really doesn't look good.

Schnozz said...

Not that I haven't said it a dozen times already, but the world HASN'T gotten to the point where we "need to reuse something for the flow." I use it because it works better for ME and has all kinds of advantages, like being able to actually wear white pants without fear. I do it for selfish reasons. Period.

(Ha! Pun.)

But I totally get the kneejerk EWWW! reaction. It's not any one person's fault that I'm sick to death of it. More of a cumulative public effort. :)

heather said...

just thought i'd let you know, brat has been using them for the last 2 months! that snot didn't even tell me. her doctor told her about them and she decided to check it out. she hasn't had any problems with them and says that the ewww factor fades. i think i'm gonna wait till my current supply runs low though. (i buy things like that in bulk, after all, they aren't gonna go stale now are they?)

Chebbles' Mama said...

I am making myself laugh by imagining telling my husband about this. "I'm going to start using a CUP to catch my blood."....

"Hey sweetie, can you come in the bathroom and help me with my cup? It's just so full!!!"

Hahahaah.... anyway, let me know how it goes, and I wouldn't advise telling your husband.

Mommy off the Record said...

After e-mailing a bit with Jonniker and reading her comments, I am actually up to try it too! Only problem is that I'm currently pregnant so I probably won't be testing it out anytime soon! Let me know what you think of the Moon Cup once you give it a try.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

belle - Honestly, I don't ever feel fresh during that time of the month, so that wasn't part of my concern with the thing.

skyqueen - No can do because that was the first thing I pictured when I heard the term "menstrual cup"...c'mon, you know you wanna try it anyway;>

schnozz - I'm glad you were sick to death of the EWWW reactions because your comments on it played a major part in the changing of my mind.

heather - See...I knew it wasn't something people ran around yapping about! I thought about waiting for my supply to run low, but this way, I'll have some back-up in case I really don't like the cup, or more likely just don't get the hang of using it properly.

chebbles' mama - Definitely not going to be telling the husband, even now when we're back to exclusively email communication where I blabber about damn near everything.

mommy off the record - I'll definitely let you know how my experience goes.

Tera said...

I just couldn't imagine...I mean I'm already insecure about seeing a pad through my pants (I have to wear pad AND tampon the first couple of days because I am a heavy bleeder)...where does the cup sit? Is it just nestled between your legs waiting for each drip like a coffee pot? Who wants to do the dumping and rinsing, and in whose sink? What if it gets a hole in it? Ugh...I'm usually willing to try new stuff, but I will just take you ladies' word on this one!