Thursday, April 05, 2007

Color me fatuous...


A local radio station changed its format several months ago. It is the best format ever used. Usually when stations claim to play the best of the 80's, 90's, and today, they don't play the songs I loved from those decades, much less the best mix of songs from today. Not this station. It isn't just that I can get the warm fuzzies while listening to Michael Jackson's Billy Jean (because it is one of my moms' favorite songs) or that they will immediately follow that with "It Ends Tonight" from All American Rejects and then careen into Akon and Snoop Dogg's "I Wanna Love You" with a healthy dose of reality by way of "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot. It is the fact that they play Color Me Badd songs.

Did you know that I once had a crushing obsession with Bryan Abrams as a pre-teen? You didn't? Well, yeah, I did. I believe I was the most dedicated fan CMB could have had in an 11 year-old. If I'd been older, I would have stalked followed them on tour, but I had to settle for buying every Bop, Big Bopper, All-Stars, Tutti, SuperTeen, etc. magazine that had even a mention of the group, collecting them all into what eventually amounted to three personally decorated binders full of clippings carefully preserved in page protectors. Not one of these posters is unfamiliar to me. I recorded music awards shows, Arsenio Hall show appearances, and even that 90210 episode they did. Bryan frequented my non-nightmarish dreams for those few years before high school. I wanted to grow up to marry him and birth his children.

It might be a good thing that never happened, though. While scouring the internet for flashback visuals, I came across a rather unflattering news article from August 2005 and some harsh criticism on a blog post regarding that situation. But, then maybe the anonymous comment made on that blog was right about the real story behind the legitimacy of the deadbeat dad allegations because I couldn't find one single follow-up story on that case. Nothing.

Anyway, back to my point. I love the new format of this radio station because every time "I Wanna Sex You Up" makes it to the playlist, I am no longer driving around in my SUV with two carseats in the back; I am an 11 year-old girl sitting in her bedroom with a mass of teen magazines as well as scissors, paper, and a glue stick littering her floor while she sways back and forth, bopping her head to the beat, as the voices of Color Me Badd escape her stereo speakers and embellish the air. That man's voice still makes me quiver and swoon to this day.

I am not alone in this undying infatuation, I'm sure. Please make me feel less crazy for thinking, "Oh my God, I could actually contact him!," as I discovered that he has a MySpace profile; please tell me someone you once had a crush on does this to you, too;>

18 comments:

Jomama said...

No. You. Didn't. I'm sorry, but CMB gave me the willies as a kid. I cringe everytime I hear "I Wanna Sex You Up." I kinda liked that "I Adore, Mi Amor" song though. The Kenny G one and the one with the long braids just skeeved me out. Blech.

There are songs that take me back to my teeny bopper days, but there are too many to name. I love 90s music :)

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

jomama - It was Bryan that captured me. I couldn't have cared less about the other three;>

Dixie said...

Bret Micheals from Poison. I'd have done anything for that man when I was a teen.

heather said...

billy idol and eddie van halen. i had/have a thing for bad boys.
re the bryan abrams bit. unfortunately either scenario could be true. either the mom's a gold digger or the dad's a deadbeat. how sad for the kids.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

dixie - Thank you for commiserating with me and my obsession;>

heather - Rock on, girlie;>

The lack of follow up to the original story, which I actually read on several different sites, led me to believe that either the case was settled in his favor (meaning the media hawks don't want to dig their claws in to it and expose one of their own) or it has yet to be settled. Either way, regardless of the fight for money, it does seem like he's not all that involved with his first couple of kids, which is sad.

Emily Snipes said...

You & I would have been such good friends in middle school!!!! Those are all my favorites. In fact, I had my husband download me a cd with them.

Excuse me while I go put in a little DJ Jazzy Jeff & "Parent's Just Don't Understand@"

Eunice said...

You crack me up. I'm just glad that this post was about CMB and not NKOTB and you confessing an undying love for Donnie and Jordan...because then I would have had to disown you!

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

emily snipes - I'm happy to know I'm not alone. I actually don't have to download the older stuff because I still have my CDs, but I might have to check out some of the later 90's stuff that I didn't even know existed.

eunice - I never liked NKOTB. I remember a lot of girls in my 5th grade class going on and on about them, and I just didn't get it. Glad to hear I haven't been disowned for this;>

Sassy Pants said...

We are totally on the same page today! I just YouTubed a bunch of 80s teenage angst/love songs onto my blog (Poison, Debbie Gibson and that song from Dirty Dancing - I've Had the Time of My Life). I'll have to remember CMB and NKOTB for another day I have nothing to blog about and just post random songs.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

sassy pants - Oh, Dirty Dancing! Patrick Swayze was another crush of mine as a youngster;>

fringes said...

I have never before today clicked on somebody's My Space page. Wait, I did visit Bobbi Cristina Brown's page, but that was because she's 14 and already as messed up as her parents. I had to see the trainwreck for myself. Anyway, very nice tribute you gave here for Bryan Adams. I'd forgotten all about that dude. Have a great weekend!

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

fringes - If the MySpace thing hadn't shown up in the search I did, I never would've visited MySpace, either;>

Hope you have a great weekend, too...all of you.

k8 said...

simon lebon- duran duran

Anonymous said...

Celebrate Woo-woo,

Thanks for your optimistic perspective regarding Bryan Abrams. So many people tend to sucumb to the one-dimensional "reportings" in the media these days. It's sad that most find negative journalism far more interesting than the "boring" truth.

In this case, Bryan has been a victim of just that: ill reporting in the press, slanted by one of their own.

Bryan loves his kids. And, like a number of other American fathers receiving improper treatment by mother-favoring judges, paying child support only goes so far -- it offers no guarantee that a man will have the luxury of seeing his children.

When a woman is scourned, her power in keeping a man from being involved their child's life (particularly, if she has unlimited finances and possesses the ability to move 2,000 miles away on any given Sunday) is unmeasurable.

So, again, thank you for having an open mind. If more people like yourself were out there, Bryan and other fathers alike would not be subjected to the public scrutiny that they face on a daily basis. Not being able to see your kids is punishment enough for just about any human being to take -- not to mention for the kids...

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

k8 - Yay! I knew I wasn't alone in my silly infatuation;>

anonymous - Thanks for offering some more information on that awful situation. I usually try to keep an open mind and not just base an opinion on one source. It is sad that the only way to guarantee visitation is to have a very specific visitation order. My ex has very little say in when he visits my boys because our visitation agreement is vague, but I have struggled and researched and taken advice from others to find a way to best balance his involvement should he really want to pursue it.

heather said...

hiya woo! hope you and all three of your boys had a great easter.:-)

Anonymous said...

Celebrate Woo-Woo,

I just wanted to respond to your last reply:

No, in this case, having a VERY specific visitation order does not guarantee visitation. A father can buy a plane ticket and make arrangements, but when that day comes...no child shows. It's all up to the mother and what she wants. If she doesn't want to let him or her go, she doesn't! It's that simple.

Unfortunately, no judge will jail a mother for that. All she gets is a slap on the hand and a, "You better let him see his child next time." Not to mention, fighting a woman who has endless funds to continue a case over and over, costs THOUSANDS. And, when that "next time" comes, still no child to hug or kiss, just another wasted plane ticket with their name on it.

So, eventually, you run out of money. And, when that happens, you get to hear about your child growing up, but you are prohibited from taking part -- oh, unless of course paying child support is taking part.

Just thought I would add in my two cents. Thanks, CWW, for allowing me to utilize your platform in voicing my thoughts on the matter.

Anonymous said...

now, bryan was hot back then but now he just looks bad to me. he got fat.