Saturday, March 10, 2007

Tired? Run, run, run, and then run a bit more...

How is it that kids react to exhaustion so differently than adults? Besides the crankiness, I mean. When's the last time you felt like you could barely keep your eyelids open, even if you were forcing them with your fingers, and decided you simply must run in circles, around and around and around? I don't do that...ever. Mostly because I don't run unless I feel it is a matter of life or death, but also because I realize that feeling tired means I should just be crabby and bitchy until I get to lay down and sleep.

Know how to tell the difference between M and J full of little-tyke energy and M and J running because they will fall into a coma if they stop? When they are running where they shouldn't be, like in the shoe department of Belk, and become fiercely uncooperative about settling down, they really need some sleep. Amazing how compliant they will be to a demand to sit still when they aren't tired. The fact that they refuse to sit still when they're actually barely able to sit upright leaves me perplexed;>

* One of my must-read bloggers, fringes, opened up her space for guest bloggers while she takes a vacation. Considering some of the comments I've left her could very well have been posts all on their own, I thought I'd take her up on the offer. You can check out my dreamy post over there.

6 comments:

fringes said...

I laughed at your question. No, I cannot imagine being dead-tired then running in circles to keep myself awake. Tell the twins to do what I do: liquor up before bedtime.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I'm thinking I'll hold off on the hard stuff until kindergarten. Good idea, though;>

briliantdonkey said...

Interesting topic and observation. "Running because they will fall into a coma once they stop." Sounds very much like a child's way of looking at things.

BD

briliantdonkey said...

btw, I can't get comments posted over at fringes for some reason, but nice guest post over there as well.

BD

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

bd - It should also be interesting to see their reaction to being tired evolve into the one I'm more familiar with myself;>

Glad you enjoyed the post at fringes.

Eunice said...

I don't get that either. It's like when they say the kids are "over-tired, that's why they don't sleep." When I'm over tired, there had better be a bed underneath to catch me!