Monday, March 12, 2007

Need to set up weekend surveillance...


The original Murdock did not make it through the weekend after his traumatic introduction, His comfort in my aquarium only last a few days, and I'm pretty sure he fried himself on the heater because everytime I'd look, he'd be suctioned so close he looked like an odd-colored fungus growing on it. That was a smell putrid enough to gag on and make me run for the bathroom; I couldn't get his carcass out of the tank fast enough. Since I wasn't a witness to his demise, I couldn't be certain it was the fish fryer. What if he wasn't aware of the algae tablets being placed on the gravel for his simplified and easy eating? Although he didn't appear to be mauled or mangled, there was also that possibility Marmaduke tried to go to battle with him. So, without a conclusive cause of death, I decided against replacing him.


That is until last week. Someone was going to need to scrape that stuff off the wall, and I did not have the proper supplies. A new (and apparently wiser) Murdock has survived his first weekend.

Unfortunately, the innocent and delicate Morwenna did not greet me with a wave of her fins this morning. Fish-creator in fishy heaven only knows what happened to her. She did not release the smell of death upon me, though, and for that, I am grateful and will remember her fondly. Perhaps there was just not enough peace in the tank for her to be happy; Marmaduke was bad about tormenting her during feeding time, not savagely attacking her but giving her the "you shouldn't eat that" treatment, only bothering to notice her while she was trying to eat. Whatever the reason, I think she had too much unappreciated oomph, and considering her lack of housekeeping skills, I doubt she will be replaced.


R.I.P. Morwenna

4 comments:

briliantdonkey said...

I can see it now,,,,,,C.S.I fishtank. Tracking criminals of the aqua world.

BD

Chebbles' Mama said...

Alas, the wild world of aquarium politics. I remember when my sister and I gave up on mollies. "Mollies always die," is our new mantra, and it pretty much applies to everything.

Jonathan said...

Hehehe - love the CSI Fishtank comment - made me laugh out loud in the middle of the train (yes, I'm reading your blog on the train...

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

bd - Yes, dusting for fin prints and testing the substances surrounding the area where the body was discovered;>

chebbles' mama - I think corys must be like mollies...just not tough enough for the survival of the fittest challenge;>

jonathan - Glad to help you pass away the commute time. BD's comment made me laugh out loud, too;>