Thursday, March 08, 2007

Addition and subtraction are actually the basis for math...

There are some people who, while probably not fitting the clinical definition for mental retardation, simply have an IQ so low that the pace of the world is much too fast for them to keep up. What are the chances of encountering three such people in less than an hour? Today has been a good day for me; perhaps I should buy a lotto ticket;>

I go to Petco for two items, only one of which I need help getting, not help as in expert advice but as in can you get that fish out of the tank for me, please? I'm sure they would frown upon me if I did this myself. I finally received assistance with this, and so I trek up to the checkout area. I suppose middle-of-the-afternoon-on-a-weekday shouldn't be a highly staffed time for Petco, but when you have one register open, is it really asking too much to have someone at that register? I surely didn't think so, yet there I stood, for about five minutes, trying to make myself visible through the employee breakroom that was just around the corner. The guy that eventually realized I was attempting to pay for my items was the same one that had walked through the store's entrance about four minutes before, where I would clearly have been seen standing at the empty register with a fish bag and a plant in my hands, yet he says he had no idea anyone was waiting. I'm not bitchy about it...hell, I don't even say anything about it; I have an hour for lunch, give or take a few minutes, and I'm only five minutes away. What makes me say this boy operates a little too slowly to function with everyday living? My total was $7.33. I start to hand him a ten dollar bill and realize I have at least three pennies I could give him...oh, actually I have the entire thirthy-three cents. He gets very confused, he stares at the computer telling him to give me $2.67 as if he's a five year-old trying to take a Calculus exam. He actually tells me that his brain doesn't know how to do math like that. Wow. Hon, if your brain can't do math like that, then it can't do math. I just smile and politely tell him the change is three dollars. I've been known to give some seemingly weird amounts of change in order to avoid getting pennies or to get all quarters back and such, but $10.33 minus $7.33 doesn't seem like it should cause such an issue.

My next and final stop before returning to work is Taco Bell. The line is a bit long, but not wrapped around the building or anything. There are three cars behind the one at the intercom, then me. First car moves up. Second cars moves up. Third car takes some more time but does move up as well. The car in front of me sits. My car pushes this line out of the driveway and into the parking lot, so I'd prefer to move up now that we have the opportunity. She finally pulls up, still leaving about half a car length in front of her. Now we are left with one car at the intercom, two cars in front of me. First car moves up. Next car moves up. Car in front of me sits. She takes a great deal of time contemplating how she should proceed. She comes to the conclusion that she must put her car in Drive once again and move forward...oh yes, she was sitting in Park. Car at intercom apparently is confused about where she is and begins to ask for details about every menu item. I honestly don't know how they took so long to place their order, so long that the other cars that had been in front of them disappeared. She figures out where she is and orders some stuff and pulls up to the window. Thankfully, woman in front of me decided against putting the car in Park this time, so she moves forward. But, she does so by turning the wheel ever so carefully, as if each placement of her hands had to be measured with deliberate calculations, and she creeps...ever...so...slowly...towards the intercom. Driving a car seemed to be quite the taxing task for her. At least she knew why she was at Taco Bell and ordered without as much hesitation as the previous car.

I traveled less than five miles, in a circle, from work to Petco to Taco Bell to work. This should not have taken an entire hour. Had it not been for the ghosts operating the registers at Petco and the unexpectedly lengthy line at Taco Bell, it realistically could have been just a half hour excursion.

The fish better not die; he's the whole reason I ventured out of my cave today.

9 comments:

Emily Snipes said...

OMG that cracked me up!! The only thing to decide at Taco Bell is hard or soft shell! Don't you just sit and wonder what the hell is wrong with people sometimes??? How they possibly function??? Hope the fish are still swimming!

Buffalo said...

A universal malady, I'm afraid - at least in the USA. It has been a long time since I've encountered a young person who actually knew how to make change.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

emily - Glad it wasn't just me being cranky that had me in shock. Fishes are doing well. Hopefully this one won't be so attached to the heater.

buffalo - I know. I know. I think I find it so frightful because I am really not much older than these people, especially this particular guy. He was no high school kid, most likely a few years younger than me if not actually my age or older.

Ariel said...

I was in DC once at a Hardees. The registers were down so they were not only having to do math but they were also having to WRITE down the orders. It took me an hour and a half at a gray hound station to get some mini cinis. I could have cried had I not been so high off the gray hound fumes.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

Writin' and 'rithmetic? Oh lawdy;>

heather said...

i have one word for cashiers who can't make simple change. bagger.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

heather - Yes, bagger is a good option for them. At Petco, I think stocker would work well. Taco Bell? Food prep. There are places for the mathmatically challenged everywhere;>

briliantdonkey said...

Wow, you hit on one of my pet peeves. As a restaurant manager/owner I see this ALLLLLLL the time. Take the calculators out of their hands and they are totally clueless. I have to rescue servers(and my register) everytime someone hands them an extra 3 pennies when they pay, or pretty much ANYTIME they don't type the amount they are paying with into the computer so it tells them what to give back. The look is what I consider 'deer in the headlights' look.

BD

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

bd - Deer in headlights is a very accurate description;>