Thursday, February 08, 2007

The weather sucks, and I've got nothing else to say about it...

Last week I read this post by jonathan and realized I am just not a "small talk" kind of person.

I can't tell you the last time I started a chat with some stranger in a grocery store line or in an elevator...perhaps it's never happened. Silence does not cause me any anxiety. I have no need to converse with someone just because they are in close proximity to me. I don't speak just for the sake of speaking. In fact, my skills in small talk are severely lacking since I can't even offer responses that would allow the conversation to continue to those who engage in this activity.

Stranger: "Wow, I can't believe how cold it's gotten these past few days."
Me: "Yeah. Me, either."

That's usually how it goes. Unfortunately, people don't often realize this is the extent of my ability in this arena and continue with these awkward exchanges until they are able to rid themselves of me.

Likewise, I tend not to comment on blogs simply to comment, and it seems many others may be the same way, reading regularly but commenting rarely.

This idea of briliant donkey's is a really good one, brilliant (hehe) even, but I can't bring myself to F.A.R.T. on people's blogs. I want something similar but different.

I'll see what I can come up with. Feel free to offer options in comments.

**UPDATE** I believe I may have found my own way to F.A.R.T. My comment can be I R.E.A.L., meaning: "I Read, Enjoyed, And Left."

5 comments:

Dr.Jeeeol said...

I R.E.A.L. ;)

briliantdonkey said...

IReal...... good one. that said, IFART.

BD

heather said...

just now getting around to your site though i've ment to for awhile now. ireal suits some situations, ifart, others. may i borrow yours from time to time?

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

dr. jeeeol and bd - thanks;>

heather - of course

Jonathan said...

Sounds like I am some kind of polar opposite to you then... although I was shy as a child, I am now one of the most social people I know.

There are different kinds of social though - there are the "me me" socialites - the Z-list celebs of this world that crave publicity, and there are those who are always there, and always listening to others, propping them up, and being their friend.

I tend to be the latter.