Tuesday, February 13, 2007

All this anticipation is killing me...

Some of y'all might remember an idea first mentioned way back in August about NS getting transferred to Hawaii. In case I haven't made it clear since then, because I'm pretty sure I haven't, that ain't gonna happen. Hawaii is not a cheap transport, and if they don't desparately need NS there, they aren't moving him with me and the boys in tow.

So, another option is Washington state. This is his top choice now, and I am, surprisingly, completely onboard with this idea. It may not be my tropical paradise, but they've got decent jobs for me there and gorgeous scenery (beach trumps mountains for me, but I need one or the other, and technically, we could have both there). Oh, and...ORCAS!! I wanted to make ocras my life not too many years ago, and I still have lofty dreams of making them a serious hobby in the future, so any place that has them is perfectly fine by me. Unfortunately, NS isn't so sure this is going to be where he gets to go. I don't think the Navy will care about my demands of being less than 20 miles (although I don't believe these distance calculations account for the water that separates the places on one side of The Sound from the other) from a Bahama Breeze instead of roughly 140 when making the decision, either. Damn them!

Which brings us to the fall-back plan of transferring to Kings Bay, GA. Less than 30 minutes from the FL border and within a few hours drive of my best friend? Why would I not be thrilled about this prospect? First, I don't like northern Florida. I loved my little nook in central FL (the amount of things to do and see is astounding) and love the southwest parts and would consider going as far into the northeast as St. Augustine because it is beautiful, but Jacksonville is not even close to a dreamy place to live, in my opinion. Second, no jobs in my field, at least not at the moment, which means searching through pages of listings for jobs that I'm either not qualified for or pay too little in hopes of finding that one odd opening that will suit my needs better than all the rest. And, lastly, need I reiterate...140 miles from Bahama Breeze. That is simply unacceptable knowing that the one in Washington is so much closer to their base.

To recap: Hawaii? Out of the realm of possibility. Washington? Yep. I'm excited about that one. Georgia? Eh, it's far from the worst place I can imagine going, but it isn't my preference. Also, my love of Bahama Breeze is unnatural, unreasonable, and, quite frankly, out of control;>

I know wherever we end up will have enough positive aspects to make it great, but I can still wish for one over the other until we know for sure.

7 comments:

Jomama said...

We were going through the same exact drama up until yesterday. We really wanted to spend a few years overseas only to find out that my husband's only option is to stay in the area. That sucks. I really hope you get what you want.

heather said...

Washington-state is gorgeous! I'M actually planning a move there in the not-so-far future (hopefully this year, at some point) because my boyfriend is there and, when it came down to deciding who would be the one to move, I took into account Washington's gorgeous environment (as I'm a tree-hugging nature girl).

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

jomama - I'm sorry you can't go overseas. That would be such an exciting opportunity.

heather - I think one of the first posts I read on your blog was about that anticpated move to WA and about where you want to go to school and such. It was almost like reading my own thoughts, which was only enhanced by the fact that your boyfriend and mine share a name;>

Ashley said...

I hope everything works out for you!!

briliantdonkey said...

Good luck getting to go to any of the places you hope they send you to. I personally love Jacksonville, but can see why a lot of people wouldn't. It is too small for people that like the 'big city atmosphere' and too big for people seeking the opposite. Certainly not the most exciting place in the world, but that suits me just fine. Different strokes as they say.

BD

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

ashley - Hi! Thanks.

bd - That is what they say;>

Heather said...

OK, so maybe you're right about us leading parallel lives. ;)