Monday, February 26, 2007

23 (or 32), what about 45 or maybe 76...

Friday night was quiet and uneventful. NS and I did some internet surfing while watching t.v. and found some great kitchen and bathroom items (you know, for that house we don't yet own but plan to someday) and some adorable Newfoundland puppies and doggies (no new additions yet, but it's fun to look, and we actually will get one after we move).

Saturday morning was spent lounging around, mostly in bed. Saturday afternoon found us with cars nearly busting open with tupperware storage bins that finally got transferred to the storage unit. Our apartment actually looks like a liveable space when you walk through the front door now. Before it was more like a storage unit with some furniture squeezed in between the boxes and tupperware. Saturday evening was our date night, the last one for several weeks since his boat is leaving today and will be gone for 6 weeks. We went to see a movie and finished the evening with dessert at Melting Pot (mmmm...chocolate-covered cheesecake;>). In case the title of this post doesn't fully give it away, we saw The Number 23. It wasn't a bad movie, but I think it was meant to be taken more seriously than we could take it. The overall storyline and plot were really good, actually, but the involvement of the number thing just made it laughable...seriously, some guy let out a huge belly laugh during the movie, and I can assure you, it wasn't supposed to be a comedic moment. The number was just a stretch, really. The way it was incorporated, it could probably have been a lot of other numbers as well; you'd just have to find the right mathmatic combination, like add or subtract, multiply or divide, or reverse the numbers, etc. So, we weren't disappointed to have seen it, but I can understand why some of the reviews are not very favorable.

Yesterday was decent enough. He did some preparation for leaving, and I went grocery shopping, mostly to get stuff to make our dinner. The dinner? It was fondue. You see, our original plan for Valentine's dinner was to go to Melting Pot (hmmm, wonder if there's one of those out west...we seem to like it a little bit;>), but the reservations were booked until 11:45 last Friday night. That doesn't work for people that usually eat dinner at 6ish, so we ended up at a nice little steakhouse, which had a melt-in-your-mouth white-chocolate raspberry cheesecake that made me wonder why I had bothered to finish so much of my meal because I just couldn't not finish this cheesecake and was then left feeling like a pair of elastic-waist, granny pants would feel so much better than the strictly constructed jeans I'd been wearing. That change of plans would probably have passed on unremarkably until last week when this recipe showed up on my Google page. Using a Double Gloucester instead of the Jarlsberg/Emmenthaler cheese, beer (Blue Moon) in place of the white wine, substituting 1 Tablespoon prepared brown mustard for the 1 teaspoon dried, and omitting the kirsch and nutmeg, we ended up with a fairly close replica of our favorite Melting Pot cheese fondue. We used green apples, french bread, celery, and carrots for dippers. Wonderfully delicious and oh-my-goodness filling. I had planned a dessert fondue as well but decided after the first course that it would have to wait a couple hours so we could recover some of the space in our stomachs. The two hours wasn't really long enough (I'm not sure there were enough hours left in the night to be enough), so we ended up with a lot of leftover melted chocolate (which, by the way, really dark, like 60% cacao dark chocolate is not the best tasting for this...unfortunately that was the first package of chocolate I opened and poured too much in before remembering that I wasn't using the full bags...who knew it would melt on contact?) and half-bowls of uneaten strawberries and bananas, not to mention almost all the brownies. We tried our best, though, and thus couldn't move for a little while, which was a good thing because we wouldn't have wanted to spill the melted chocolate on the bed.

That covers my weekend, well besides my middle-of-the-night-2-am outburst about J waking up for the fifth time in two hours Saturday night/Sunday morning. NS had been sleeping too soundly to hear the every-half-an-hour cries of terror the boy was belting out, but I got quite fed up at his screaming and my going to see what he's screaming about only for him to stop the very moment I opened the bedroom door. The outburst started when I shouted through the closed door for him to knock it off and go to sleep. When he didn't, I flung the door open and told him he wasn't allowed to scream any more without a reason, and if there was a reason, he needed to tell me right. now. if he wanted me to do anything about it. While it may not have been one of my most shining mommy moments, J muttered his agreement, asked for help getting back inside his sleeping bag, and didn't make a peep the rest of the night. And, he still loved me in the morning.

4 comments:

k8 said...

this made me veeerrrrrrrrry hungry.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I guess there a just a few food references here, uh? Sorry;>

fringes said...

Glad to read about the flurry of activity. I'll be thinking of you during those six weeks.

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

If his leaving is going to result in nights like the one I had last night, then he's not going to be allowed to do it anymore;> Too bad, they've got a lot of sea time scheduled for the next several months, gone more than he's here.