Tuesday, January 02, 2007

It's a fucking word...

During this morning's trip of dropping NS at work and then on my way to work, the radio station I usually listen to was discussing a slip made by Vanessa Minnillo during MTV's New Year's Eve broadcast. Basically, Vanessa didn't censor herself and dropped an f*bomb. The female host on this radio show thought this was a huge screw-up on Vanessa's part and wouldn't mind seeing her fired over it.

For anyone that hasn't heard the story or soundbyte (because it seems most of the media agree that it's not a worthy "story"), Vanessa is introducing Chamillionaire and Ciara to perform and says, "We're gonna fucking (pause...gasps...nervous giggle) kill it!"

While it may not be what is supposed to be heard on MTV, I can't find a reason to get worked up over this. The word wasn't used against anyone, like calling someone a mother fucker, and wasn't used in anger, like saying she was going to fucking kill them, so I can't really be upset about it. Quite honestly, I can't really understand why these words hold so much power. They don't have that effect if we don't let them. One of the first callers this morning expressed the opinion of it not being that big of a deal because the word is used so often and so widely now that it isn't really shocking to hear someone hosting an MTV show use it. She asked him if he had kids. I didn't hear his response, but I do have kids, and while I don't want them to have a vocabulary overly populated with such words, I know it will be impossible to shield them from hearing them, and using them, for that matter. The more you make things off-limits, especially things that are essentially harmless, the more you tempt the rebellious need for independence that children harbor. As far as I'm concerned, if I don't think it's appropriate for my children to hear that, then I will have them in bed or watching ABC, CBS, or NBC for New Year's Eve countdown...because those stations are publicly broadcast and are held to more stringent "moral" standards than cable-access ones. No one bothered to mention this point, though. MTV is only available with a subscription to a cable or satellite service, which means they can get away with a lot more than they dare to try. FX is a great example of this, they push their limits with shows like Nip/Tuck, and you know what, people love those shows. When you've got sponsors willing to back you regardless of the language you use or the obscene behavior you show in your programs, then the kiddie gloves don't have to stay on. Does everyone like it this way? No, but you either get rid of your cable/satellite service or you don't watch. Considering MTV plays music videos (at least occasionally) that feature artists who have songs played on public airwaves only thanks to the ability to *bleep* half the lyrics, I can't accept that it is reprehensible that a veejay got a little enthusiastic and let her professional guard down during a New Year's Eve celebration. Has anyone ever been fooled by a *bleep*? We all know what the words are without needing the unedited version or even the MTV video.

I was just baffled by how disturbed this radio deejay was over a word and the fact that hardly anyone would agree with her.

9 comments:

BeckyD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BeckyD said...

Ok, try this again. I completely agree that the 4 letter words, are just that, WORDS. They only have the power we decide to give them. And let's be honest, who among us hasn't said that word somewhere along the line?

When did we all get our panties in a wad and become prudes?

Jonathan Beckett said...

I agree with you 100%. The english language is a very fluid thing - many people rant about it's mis-use (including myself at times), but some swear words do change in their severity over time.

A couple of generations ago, saying "God!" would have caused tuts and wagged fingers.

Susan said...

I think you're right. I wouldn't have young kids watching MTV anyway. Thanks for stopping by my blog and feel free to come back anytime!

Dr.Jeeeol said...

If she can't think of more educated words to express herself, I think she's a moron.

Then again, she probably has an IQ of 80, didn't go to college, and makes a ton more money than I do. Damn- maybe I should start using 4 letters words professionally too. Maybe that is where I have been going wrong.

Between stuff like this and Brittany Spears showing her hooha, you really need to question our kids role models. Sad.

Skyqueen said...

I can't believe I get to be your first commenter that says:

YOU'RE SO FUCKIN RIGHT!!

Sweet! I was sure someone would have beat me to the fuckin punch but none of these fuckers did!

FUCK YEAH!

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

beckyd - Exactly;>

jonathan beckett - I consider that last sentence very enlightening. I had a former co-worker that got in trouble as a kid for using any word in the context of a swear word. Even saying things like, dog, if it was instead of something like, damn. Why is this veejay's use of the "f" word any more vulgar than her saying "friggin"? In my opinion, it shouldn't be. And, it did seem most of the listening audience for the radio show agreed with us as well;>

susan - I've enjoyed my visits to your blog. Thanks for coming by here, too;>

dr. jeeeol - Being someone that doesn't usually swear much without cause, I agree that Vanessa should be able to express herself without it, but considering her audience, most of them will not view her as a moron for saying what she said. As for her intelligence, Nick Lachey claims she's a smart girl...of couse, his frame of reference was Jessica Simpson;>

skyqueen - I had to hold back some laughter this morning when I read your comment;> You fuckin' rock!

Skyqueen said...

Your FUCKIN right I do!

Ok, it was my last chance to say my favorite word again. J/K.....kinda

briliantdonkey said...

Hey woo woo,

Just found my way here from one of the many blogs I frequent. May have been Fringes or Susan, or Cardiac fantasies, Hell I don't know. Anyways, I agree it sounds like this is something that got taken a bit too seriously, especially by this radio host, and especially since it sounds like it was nothing more than a slip of the tongue. Here is what I wish would have happened.

-Radio host going on and on about the travesty of this vjay using the F-bomb.

-co-worker sneeks up behind him/her and scares the living hell out of them.

-radio host lets loose with an f-bomb of his own.

-end of discussion.

If you want to hear half the cuss words someone knows, scaring them is a good way to do it.

Version B)

-radio host going on and on.

-coworker whacks his hand with a hammer.

-F bomb flies.

If he can make it through both of those then MAYBE I will agree to see his side of it, or at least beleive he beleives it.

Till then, I don't buy it.

BD