Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Apparently other children sleep in beds...

As I was reading (and reading and reading) blogs last night, one or two mentioned something or other about children sleeping in beds. My first thought was how odd that notion seemed, but then I remembered that most kids probably do sleep in beds and not on the floor in the hallway. Our sleeping arrangement is the one that's outside the realm of normal, not the bed-sleeping one. I don't really understand why M and J made this switch, but since they actually sleep quite well most of the time, I don't fight it. It's just not a worthy battle for me to engage in. They can be kind of cute out there, too, sprawled across the entire space one night and cuddled together on the same pillow against the wall another...it definitely makes me smile often enough;>

Perhaps there's some genetic pre-disposition to sleeping on the floor because I know I did that for a number of years during high school. I had stopped sleeping in my bed and begun sleeping on the living room couch, which had a sleeper-bed that I didn't use. My mom bought a new couch and allowed me to get rid of my bed altogether and just put the old couch in my room. My bedroom looked like a second living room that had been decorated by a teenage girl. At some point soon after I just started spreading a blanket on the floor with a pillow and another blanket to cover me, and slept like that; the floor was much roomier than the couch. The only reason I stopped sleeping on the floor was because IFKAMH wouldn't conform to my ways and insisted that people sleep in beds. Turns out most guys believe that. Too bad...imagine the space I'd have in my bedroom without a bulky bed dominating it. I could just fold up the blankets and have a little stack of pillows against the wall and have all that glorious floor space! Alas, I guess it is just not meant to be that way.

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

I can pretty much sleep anywhere. Beds really are a convention... you don't find African tribesmen with four poster beds out in the bush...

Eunice said...

That's funny! As for the kids sleeping on the floor, I say, "don't mess with what's not wrong." If my daughter falls asleep on the floor, I let her be.

fringes said...

I'm too paranoid. What if they get bitten by ants? What if I step on them? What if they learn a little independence and start free-thinking? Haha...Good for your kiddies.

Susan said...

I was fine with the whole sleeping on the floor thing until fringes brought up ants. This makes me think of a thing I read that said on average each person eats 4 spiders a year in their sleep. There's a cozy thought. Hope everyone sleeps well!

Dr.Jeeeol said...

I'm all about sleeping in tents. Anytime of year.