Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Let's begin...

As NaBloPoMo starts, I wonder why I decided to participate. Why do I feel the need to keep a blog and why would I agree to do it every day for a month? The short answer is: for me.

You see, I don't really care about getting comments (but I really like reading them when people do leave them, and so I'm trying to be better about leaving comments for others in order to strengthen my comment karma, so please, comment away;>), but I do want someone to read this besides me.

I could keep a simple, private diary or journal and never have anyone look at it, but that would not help me like this does.

I've recently realized that writing stuff out is my thing. When something is bothering me or makes me feel good, any emotion really, writing it down helps me work through it or keep it alive forever...and knowing that someone else has had the same thoughts run through their mind as they read my posts is the finishing touch.

Having someone else read what I've written about my thoughts or my experiences is especially healing when it's an issue I'm trying to get past. Writing it is the first step to releasing it from my mind; those words and thoughts being processed through someone else's mind once I've published the post is what puts the final nail in the issue's coffin, assuring it will be at rest for a while...at least until the zombie spirit invades, after which I must disable it once again (but it gets easier each time).

In the past, I would never have considered myself to be someone that enjoyed writing. I associated writers with people that like to create stories and write them (you know...fiction), and I have significant troubles with making up stories, so that type of writing just isn't fun for me. I guess that's why they say to write what you know...and what do I know better than my life as I live it and see it. This is enjoyable writing to me, and the fact that this blog has become a form of self-help therapy motivates me to continue.

Of course, this whole NaBloPoMo thing comes with a chance for prizes, so that's an added incentive to post every day;>

5 comments:

BeckyD said...

From the comment you left on my blog yesterday, and reading this post today, sounds to me like we're on the same page. I blog to think things through, figure things out, and sometimes I get lucky and get input from outside sorces and it helps (or hurts) the process.

Dr.Jeeeol said...

Humph- I wonder what blog world prizes consist of.

If your kid wants to eat a tree- give him some brocolli and say its a mini tree ;)

My man asked me last night- "Why didnt you get the good candies like Reeses and Kit Kats?" Um yeah- b/c I would have eaten them all. I gave out 20 some pounds of lolipops, tootsie rolls and smarties....

Jonathan said...

Your reasons for writing remind me a little of Sean Connery in "Finding Forrester" (wonderful movie, btw)

- he attacks his young pupil for thinking about his writing too much. The joy is in the writing without thinking - running away with ones thoughts, and communicating them directly to paper (or screen in this case).

It holds true for me - when I am stuck for something to write, I write about being stuck for something to write, and see where it takes me.

Janna said...

The thing I really like about blogging is that it makes me see the world in a more thoughtful way. Looking for post ideas makes me see the humor and beauty in little things that might otherwise go unnoticed.

And I'm definitely with you on the helping to work things out angle, too. Writing is excellent for that!

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

Very good point, janna. I've noticed that in myself since jumping on the NaBloPoMo bandwagon;>