Monday, November 13, 2006

I just don't get it...

One morning as I drove into the parking lot where I work, one of the local morning radio shows was doing a segment on the apparent controversy of a Lyfe Jennings's song. While this song clearly spells out what it is about, it isn't about getting it; it's about keeping young girls from growing up too fast for no good reason. Even though the song references a 17 year-old, which I don't necessarily think is all that young for s.e.x. (I was 16 and still don't believe I was too young), it applies to all girls that are entering puberty and developing more womanly figures and being oogled and enticed by boys and men alike. Emphasis is made on not letting guys try to convince you to do something you're not ready for just because you think you're in love and also on thinking about what you're giving up because you can't get it back. I can't understand why there would be any reason to be upset that this song is being aired on radio stations when so many of us criticize the fact that girls are taught to act sexy from an incredibly young age, much sooner than the teen years.

Is it that those who are outraged at this song being allowed airtime on public radio waves are just not listening? Where's all that fury when it comes to songs that actually exploit women's sexuality as something casual? The #1 song almost every evening here has women acting like strippers and hookin' up with some random celebrity at a club to join the milehigh club on his jet. (I happen to love this song, so I'm not trying to say it shouldn't be on the air...it's just the principle of the argument.)

Is it only songs that incorporate colorful euphemisms with the word "sex" that are suitable radio songs? Things like "magic stick" and "rock the boat" are entertaining and amusing enough that we can overlook the parts where she's sexin' him so he'll pay her bills and buy her gifts.

I honestly don't understand why or how so many people find so many things offensive. More often than not, people should just tune out or turn off what they don't like and stop trying to prevent everyone else from making their own decisions about what's acceptable and what's not.

Unfortunately, I was only able to listen to the intro for that segment on the radio that morning and never got to hear anyone's reasons for disapproving of the song, but I doubt I would have gotten the point of why that particular song is obscene because I've listened to it closely and know that it is an accurate portrayl of a girl's experiences with a positive message:

Hold on, to your innocence
Use your common sense
You’re worth waiting for (You’re worth waiting for)

4 comments:

Dr.Jeeeol said...

Songs today suck.
Yesterday some guy sounded like he was singing 'click your bangles' but it was 'click your fingers.' And whats with this elongagtion like going to the cluuuuuuuuuub, going to the mawl?

Jomama said...

I stopped listening to the radio a few months ago, but I've heard that song before and I agree that it has a great message. I hate his delivery (his voice hurts my feelings), but the message is there. The people with their panties all in a bunch over this are definitely not listening to the words. They just hear "S-E-X" and are instantly scandalized. Gimme a damn break. I have heard songs on the radio and been shocked by the content that is allowed to be played, but songs like this are an improvement.

TraciSue said...

Oh hon', you are back in Virginia now. Time to put your ability to think out the door. You are now in the land of the Bible is everything, but we are only going to pay attention to the parts we like.

Jonathan said...

If it's any consolation, it drives me up the wall too. It's not just sex - the recent controversy surrounding Dixie Chicks made me wonder what goes through most people's head too...