Thursday, November 16, 2006

At least I didn't have to lay on the bed...

Frustration overcomes me as I bounce my lower body into a pair of jeans that I'd won on ebay for a fraction of the original retail price. There is no reason these jeans should not slide right over my thighs and hips and button comfortably around my waist, yet I am forced to transfer every bit of air from my tummy to my lungs, holding it in, in order to accomplish this feat. They'd look fabulous...if only I could breathe.

I am disappointed. I can't believe how random women's clothing sizes are, not even just with different makers but within the same label. (I have another pair in a different color but same size by the same designer en route now; hopefully, the sizing will be more favorable this time.) I have sizes in my closet ranging from 3 (waaaaay off on sizing on their part, but damn that's nice of them to want to make me feel so skinny;>) to 11. Usually I can pick up an 8 or 9 or 10 and be safe...used to be 6 or 7 or 8 before that last pregnancy (which is still hard to handle; it's easier to justify extra weight when you've got the baby, but when you don't and the weight you gained to nourish another life just shifts away from the belly to the rest of the body, it's more difficult to accept as a worthy sacrifice), so when I find something that is just obviously produced smaller than it's sized, I am irritated at the very the least. Because this is most often noticed in more expensive, more "prestigious" labels, it seems that they're just trying to feed some unhealthy and irrational obsession with being super-thin. I don't want to be, and probably could never be, a skin and bones girl. While I would love to drop those pounds I gained in recent months, I don't want to ever drop my weight much below what it was then. I want breasts and hips and a butt, and I don't ever want anyone to look at me and think I could break if they hugged me or if I pushed an elevator button with any amount of force. There are some people that are truly a size 1 or 2 (or whatever) while not appearing fragile and bony, but they are not as common as designers seem to think they should be. If I wanted to sell my brand, I'd assume I should make a woman feel as good as possible about her real size. I understand not making your size 3 fit a size 7 (seriously...what are the real size 3s supposed to wear?!?), but come on, you can make the size 10 fit a 10.

I have a feeling this rant will only be related to by other women, and that's almost as frustrating.

2 comments:

Dr.Jeeeol said...

Pants shopping is the worst. Its just a recipe for disaster after age 25.

suki said...

Yeah, it's hard shopping for clothes, especially online. I don't know how some people do it. My sleeves and pants are always too short.