Monday, September 11, 2006

I can hardly believe it...

It doesn't seem like it has been five years since our country was terrorized. Maybe it's because we are still fighting a war that resulted from the attacks that the horror still seems so fresh.

As the tributes and memories were played on the radio this morning, I couldn't help but relive the emotion I felt that morning. Even though I knew no one that was a victim, the fear and hopelessness they must have felt is something I could only imagine to be the worst experience to ever bear, and it made me cry today just as it did five years ago.

I remember being with my mom that morning, getting some breakfast at Chick-Fil-A before a doctor's appointment I had. We were listening to the Howard Stern show and thought he was playing out some kind of joke when talking about planes hitting the World Trade Center towers. It wasn't until we arrived at the doctor's office and saw the television news coverage they were airing and the receptionist crying that it occurred to us that it was absolutely real. I still went to work that day, but they allowed anyone that felt they needed to leave to do so, and I took that opportunity without a second thought; I had no reason to be at work during that time since no one was calling their cell phone carrier about delinquent bills...I wanted to be with my family because I didn't know whether or not this horrific tragedy was over yet and how much time I'd have with them.

I know the events of that day made me want to never waste another minute of my life doing anything without a purpose. I was enrolled in undergraduate college courses at the time but had no idea what I was trying to get a degree for. It was shortly after 9/11 that year that I withdrew from the classes I was taking. I didn't want to waste precious time or money doing something that I didn't see helping me get where I wanted to be in the future. My thoughts on that have since been altered but only because I have some idea of what I want a degree for (other than personal satisfaction) and see it helping me achieve other goals in my life. It's not a waste of my time anymore, but it was then.

More than anything I can remember, that grim and doom-ridden day made me appreciate everything I have to be grateful for and just how blessed my life is...and most importantly, to take the time every single day to think about that.

No comments: