Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Being cold is not conducive to my well-being...

We actually got sent home early from work today because it was too cold. I am finding that my hatred of being cold is my mind's way of keeping my body healthy. Since the arctic freeze has taken over my hallway at work, even more notably in my office, I have not really been feeling well.

I wake up fine. I feel rested enough (as much as I ever do when getting whatever amount of sleep I've gotten). My stomach doesn't ache and twist into knots. All is well...until I've been at work for about an hour.

You see, the heating and cooling system (HVAC for those of y'all that know the term) is being redone as is a lot of the building. Well, they've gotten the new unit installed and hooked up, but the rest of the system, like the controls, are not, which means the options are: on full-blast or off. Being the start of the warmer months, I suppose they reason that on full-blast would be our preference. However, when this puts your indoor temps into the 60s (low to mid, not upper 60s, mind you) and your job involves very little movement throughout the day other than to wander down another hallway to sit in another room for an hour or so only to then return to your office and sit some more, this is not at all comfortable or preferable to having the a/c off for the majority of the day. Most of our complaints are that they should only do this full-blast thing when it is actually starting to get humid or stuffy not just start it up at 9:30 in the morning and run it for three hours, turn it off for an hour, and then run it again until who knows when, not until after I leave is all I know.

You know it is awful when women that have hot flashes are bundling up in sweaters and jackets and scarves and then huddling under a blanket, too. That is not normal. I have noticed that while I sit and freeze, I begin to feel sick. My stomach aches, not with nausea, but like it is being alternately stretched and wrung through a medieval torture device. I get so exhausted that I struggle to keep my eyes open through the end of the day. I come home and feel this way until about 9:30 or so. It's like my body has to expend so much energy trying to maintain it's normal, already on the low-end temperature (which, by the way, I doubt it's really able to do very well) that the rest of my body's functions get out of whack and go to hell for the day...only it happens every day. On the plus side, my appetite is virtually non-existent, so my snacking habits have been put in check and my lunches have been about half their previous size, so maybe I'll be able to hold off on resuming my yogalates workouts to combat the horrible things office jobs do to my body;>

Our days are spent thinking of ways to warm ourselves and finding places in the building that are not being zoned for igloo offices, which there are some...the breakrooms are the best by far;> Little work is accomplished because no one can focus for any significant duration, or remove enough body parts from under the blankets to use a keyboard or mouse. Since the oudoor weather today was rather chilly and rainy thanks to Alberto, it seemed to have been especially cold inside today, which prompted the early release from work.

The sad thing is that this is not expected to let up until the end of the month. I don't know how much more I can endure. I am not warm most of the time; in fact, I expect to be a bit uncomfortable at work during warm-weather months because I dress for that rather than sweating on my ride home (the warmest part of the day) and feeling disgusting by the time I walk through the door so I didn't shiver at work. I think I'm going to have to upgrade...to an electric blanket to keep at my office in place of the soft and fuzzy chenile one I currently use. Such a shame it's come to this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»