Thursday, May 11, 2006

How to teach toddlers the alphabet...

Apparently it was not learned from relentless practice while at daycare since every new teacher my boys get are utterly amazed at my children's knowledge of the alphabet and insist on asking me how I did it.

Other than simply spelling out words while writing in front of them (because every time they would color, some adult would be conned into doing all the coloring, which inevitably resulted in said adult writing out whatever words come to mind), they received a Leap Frog Fridge Phonics set for Christmas last year. Now, this thing looked awesome when I saw it at Walmart, which is precisely why I purchased it. It has all the letters of the alphabet and numbers 1-10. You put the magnetic "house" on your fridge (or stove or dishwasher...wherever the child puts it, really) and then use the magnetic letters and numbers to have fun;> It tells you what the letter is and how it sounds and then sings a little ditty about that stuff. There is a button to sing the alphabet, too, which is a great rendition of the classic, most notable change is that there is no "and" between "y" and "z"...just x, y, z. For the numbers it just says the number; there's no song until you push that button that sings the alphabet for the letters. My boys loved the counting song, though, and regularly did some grooving in the kitchen to that...while the song cannot be heard, you can play the poor-quality-taken-with-my-camera-phone video clip of M doing his thing.


Video Hosting - Upload Video - Video Sharing


So, if you're looking for an effortless and effective way to drill the alphabet into your young one's mind, I recommend this as a well-spent $20;>

4 comments:

KUYA 180 said...

Too cute.
I agree... all Leap Frog products are amazing. My daughter has several...

Jomama said...

Hey! Look at me! I am at work and commenting on your blog. They must have changed the firewalls or something.

I bought my son that for Christmas too. Even though he's way too young for it, I thought it was cool and had to have it. And I'm usually the one dancing to it while Popeye looks on and laughs at me.

"D! D says "D"! Every letter makes a sound. D says "D"!

He also has a Leap doll that sings the alphabet and he does say "and" on that one. And then he has another Leap Frog toy that sings the alphabet and says the "now I know my abc's" part differently too.

Jomama said...

omg! it actually posted. Yay!

Jomama said...

Happy Mother's Day, Woo Woo!!!