Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My chant for the day...it is for the best

The SPCA I went to yesterday would not take LD after I told them what happened to bring me to the decision of surrendering him...no biters. They said I would have to quarantine him for 10 days and then take him to the vet to be euthanized. As if I wasn't already crying while I stood at the reception desk about to relenquish my munchkin puppy, the thought of having to sentence him to death for protecting me certainly sent me into a full-on sobbing session. Still sobbing, I call my mom at work to tell them what they told me, and she asked if I wanted her to call a different SPCA in the area to see if they would take him...omitting the biting incident. I said that sounded good. So, they agreed to take him this morning. I sat with him for about 20 minutes, crying and hugging him as I filled out paperwork about his background and personality. He has been surrendered for the reason of not getting along with children under 5, which is for the most part true. I don't necessarily think that he wouldn't get along with someone else's children, though; he just doesn't get along with anyone that takes my attention away from him. He is that dog, the one that weasels his way in between me and someone else...NS and I will lay on the couch, which is about all there is room for, so he crawls on top of us, and lays nestled right in between my back and NS's stomach. He's been very protective and attached to me for as long as I can remember. He actually nipped IFKAMH in the face while I was pregnant because he was making noises at my tummy, which LD must have determined to be a threat. This SPCA is a no-kill shelter, which set my mind at ease more than words can say because, like I said, I honestly don't think he will be as aggressive without me to protect, and he does deserve a good home. I am sad to think that I will not see him again (although they said I could call to check on him whenever I want, and they will let me know when he's been adopted, which they don't think will take very long because he is a small, cuddly dog), but I just have to realize that my flesh-and-blood children are more important, and I cannot knowingly put them at risk of being more seriously injured since it seems that LD's behavior is not going to stop or get better with more time...this is for the best, I know.

No comments: