Tuesday, March 07, 2006

For the love and safety of my children...

One of my dogs, Little Dog (or Little Devil, as he has also been referred to, possibly a more fitting nickname, especially in light of recent events) will be leaving me today. Yesterday afternoon, he bit J in the face. I was sitting on the couch with M and J reading books, and LD was next to me. He kept making growling sounds under his breath whenever one of the boys, mostly J, went near him...and when J actually reached for his Nemo toy that was next to LD, he snapped and bit my baby in the face. He has nipped before, but this was just so aggressive and was done immediately after I had been telling him not to since I was concerned with his growling. I had done a good job of keeping J away from him, but he just moved so quickly to get his toy that I didn't even have a chance to stop him and keep him away from the dog. LD is not the best dog in the world (in fact, most people hate being around him because he barks at everyone, even people that he knows, until they pay attention to him and hold him), but I have had him since he was a puppy (almost 7 years), and he has his moments of total sweetness (like now, as he is curled up in my lap). Unfortunately, it is now quite obvious that he is too aggressively protective of me, even against my own children, so he cannot stay. I cried last night and am crying now at the realization that he will not be my dog anymore. Hopefully, he will find a home where there are no neighbors, children, or visitors to bother him and will have a peaceful life.

3 comments:

melly21775 said...

I'm so sorry about your dog. I had the same thing happen with a puppy I saved from certian death. It was a sad day when we had to take her away. Your doing the right thing though.

GA girl said...

Contact a Lhasa organization to take him. That way they keep them in foster until they find homes. I'm sorry sweetie.

Skyqueen said...

I'm so sorry for you. It's just heatbreaking. Our pets, we love them so much and sometimes it just hurts so bad. That must have been such a hard choice for you to make. I hope J's face is ok. Was it bad?

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. LD knows how much you love him and he will be ok.

Such a sad time.