Thursday, January 26, 2006

My 15-year (maybe less) plan...in writing;>

I've read and heard a hundred times that you should put your goals in writing, so here it goes. Last week, I came to the conclusion that my dream job, the one for which I would be happy to go to work each day even if I didn't get paid for it, would be a tour-guide on a whale-watching tour. This really came flooding back to me when I went to the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center (formerly the Virginia Marine Science Museum) a couple weeks ago while NS was out of town. Just walking through there, I was smiling and happy and felt very comfortable, and I was incredibly disappointed that I had gotten there too late to see the Whales IMAX movie. With this in mind, and the fact that I've wanted to own my own business for several years now but couldn't figure out quite what I wanted to do, I've decided to make a goal to own my own whale-watching tour business by the time I'm 40. In the meantime I'm going to apply to one of those universities that allows you to complete your degree via online courses and go for an I.T. degree of some sort since that seems to be the type of jobs I'm drawn to and feel I would be successful with. In the next 5 years, I want to have gotten the degree and be in a job making at least $50,000-60,000 a year. Then, I will spend the next 10 years making sure to save for starting the business. Of course, I will be doing a lot of research on this as well to figure out where I want to have my business. I know I can do it here, but I'm wondering about other places, too. I would love to be able to do this in Washington state, but I know it's just not possible for me to live there even though they've got my favorite whales. Well, there it is...my 15-year plan. It can probably be done sooner, and may very well be done sooner, but so can a lot of the plan. I just want to make sure that it is truly attainable and I won't have to kill myself or sacrifice too much in trying to achieve my goals.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

go for it woo!!!!!!
I so need to get out of corporate america - itmakesme miserable, i'd rather do a MILLION other things, lifes too short to not act on what we really want, this post has got me thinken!