Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Such negativity for online dating;>

It seems to me that there is a very negative opinion about online dating. In case anyone wasn't quite aware of this: People lie just as easily in person as they do online...please read some old posts of my blog to get a clear understanding of how someone you've know for years can just lie through his teeth to tell you what you want to hear.

So, whether the information I have about these guys is true or not, I have a lot more of it from finding them online than I would from finding them somewhere else...like at a bar, club, grocery store, church, or wherever.

Just because I meet someone in person versus online doesn't mean he isn't going to lie to me about his relationship status or what he does for a living or whether or not he has children and what his interests are and what he's looking for in a woman, etc. As far as I'm concerned, the information I have on these guys by finding them online puts me at least 2-3 dates ahead of meeting someone in person and then trying to get to know these things about him.

I guess I just don't really understand the stigma of online dating. There are people there just looking for sex (even some that are married) and there are those that want the complete opposite and are looking for a partner in life. I feel I'm somewhere in between the two right now. I know people that have married people they met online through dating services, and I know others that have gotten some really great sex stories to tell from the same thing. I don't really see how this is different from any other dating situation.

9 comments:

Eunice said...

You make a good point. There are people out there that you meet in person that are married and looking for sex too, so the fact that you haven't met and don't have an instant to decide a level of physical attraction.

Someone once told me that people that are successful at online dating are more analytical and tend to think things through a lot more than the rest of us, who throw caution to the wind and run with it (and usually end up hurt in the end).

It's like shopping for a car online before going to the dealership. You walk in with an idea of what you want, and are given a choice of the things that have most of the options that you are looking for, rather than bouncing from dealership to dealership, test driving everything until you find a car that suits you. To me, it's like narrowing down the selection. Makes sense to me.

Eunice said...

I hate when I stop in the middle of a thought...

I meant to say:

You make a good point. There are people out there that you meet in person that are married and looking for sex too, so the only real difference is the fact that you haven't met and don't have an instant to decide a level of physical attraction.

defiant goddess said...

I don't see much difference in the dating experience itself. I think the stigma comes from the myth that everyone who uses the Internet for social purposes is a geek or ugly and can't meet people in real life. It's such a stupid perception but it's still out there.

Danielle said...

all i can say is i have some HORROR stories of people I met on line. I have no luck with it whatsoever.

Eunice said...

I agree Goddess. That stigma is out there, and I have to say that anymore, most of the people that are on there, it's because they are too busy to waste time meeting people by "conventional" means. Why have 10 bad dates in a month when you can have a couple of promising ones?

GA girl said...

Okay, I think I can say blind dates can be just as bad if not worse because yes you know somethings about the person, but you don't know what they know about you. I remember the worse blind date in history, at least my history, was this guy who came to pick me up in a limo, I'm thinking nice, but it was filled with his friends. I was the only girl. We went down tomn and he and his friends got totally shit faced. horrible night, and this guy was vouched for by some really good friends of mine. Granted he was very attractive, but that did not make up for all of the rest of it. And he was VOUCHED for no less!

Buffalo said...

The bottom line is - you gotta be careful regardless.

Anonymous said...

My parents met on a blind date -- married 33 years. Life if like a box of chocolates....

Buck Rogers said...

Hey Woo Hoo
Its been awhile since I have said anything but do those judmental people on too nice, I FUCK THEM
sorry if the harse language offends anyone but that what it is